Smoke alarm saves family in house fire in Wauchope

A mother and four children escaped injury in a fire which damaged their home in Wauchope early this morning (Friday August 11).

They were woken by a smoke alarm which went off after a wheelie bin went on fire up against the wall of the house at Princess Avenue off the Rocks Ferry Road.

Photo courtesy of Fire & Rescue Wauchope.

Photo courtesy of Fire & Rescue Wauchope.

A member of Fire & Rescue Wauchope said the bin was completely burned to the ground and had set fire to the outside and inside wall of the house, badly damaging the lounge room.

“The family got out due to the working smoke alarm.  There was a mother and two teenage boys and two younger children,” he said.

“They had a lucky escape.  The lady heard a window smash which would have been from the heat of the fire outside.

The message is: have a smoke alarm and make sure it is working.

Fire & Rescue Wauchope

“The smoke came into the house, setting off the alarm and the family got out promptly.

“The message is: have a smoke alarm and make sure it is working.  The fire got into the wall of the house, and the smoke spread through the premises,” he added.

Firefighters from Wauchope Rural Fire Service arrived first, followed by Fire & Rescue Wauchope and Port Macquarie.  They had to take material off the wall.  The fire was contained to the lounge room of the house.


Discuss "Smoke alarm saves family"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.