POLICE have praised the efforts of drivers to ensure the June long weekend remained fatality free.
Inspector Stuart Campbell said that overall, road users had behaved during Operation Stay Alert.
“I worked all weekend and I am pleased to say that generally drivers were well behaved and we saw no real serious collisions which was excellent,” Insp Campbell said.
“There was a large police presence across the mid north coast over the weekend, particularly with extra highway patrols in operation; but overall drivers have been pretty good.”
Operation Stay Alert began on Friday, June 8 at 12.01am and concludes at 11.59pm on June 11, with motorists doing the wrong thing incurring double demerit point losses throughout the four day operation.
So far this year, 154 people have already lost their lives on NSW roads, four more than the same time last year.
He said that the significant drop in serious road incidents on the highway closest to Port Macquarie could be attributed to the completion of upgrade works.
“In the past, you could say the roadworks had an impact on the driving conditions,” he said.
“With the opening of the dual carriageway on the Pacific Highway, and the removal of roadworks there has been a drop in serious crashes.