A 22 year old Wauchope woman suffered burns to her face and upper body in a workplace accident

A SHIFT at a Wauchope chicken shop went horribly wrong for a young employee after she sustained burns to her body in a workplace accident on Thursday night.

The 22 year old woman is receiving treatment at Port Macquarie Base Hospital after sustaining burns to 18 percent of her body.

The accident occurred shortly before 5.30pm on November 8.

Three ambulance crews were sent to Hastings Street in Wauchope after receiving an emergency call for help after scalding gravy had spilled over the woman’s body.

A spokesperson for NSW Ambulance said the crews were on scene within minutes.

“Three crews were sent to the chicken shop on Hastings Street after a call came through about someone with burns to their face, neck, chest and upper arms,” they said.

“Crews administered treatment on scene which included running water for more than 15 minutes.

“During that time her vital signs were good and the decision was made to transport her to Port Macquarie Base Hospital.”

The Westpac Rescue Helicopter was initially going to transport her to the Royal North Shore Hospital burns unit, however she remained at Port Macquarie Base Hospital under observation and was released overnight.