Rugby league: Wauchope beaten by Port City Breakers

PORT City Breakers booked a place in next weekend's Group 3 pre-season final with a commanding 32-14 victory over Wauchope on Saturday.

For the Blues coach Anthony Boyd, it was a step backwards on their performance last week.

"There were a lot of inconsistencies in our play," he said.

"We had 13 players playing as individuals rather than working as a team and that probably stops with me as coach."

Despite the disjointed performance Boyd was impressed with the effort of centre Beau White.

"Beau was solid for us and was always a handful; he created two tries for us but came up with a few errors as well," he said.

"In patches we had players that were okay for 15 minutes, but then they came up with a bad read in D and undid all the good work."

Boyd suggested his side would have to return to the drawing board for the next three weeks ahead of the Group 3 season kick off.

"We've got a bit to work on," he said.

The Breakers raced in six tries in an impressive performance without Owen Blair, Dan Dumas or Adrian Daley while stand-in captain Josh Hyde succumbed to a groin injury after just 15 minutes.

In their absence, Matt Everitt, Michael Smith, Kyle Robbins, Tyler Hyde and Bailey Connor all gave coach Dan Kemp something to think about ahead of their season opener on April 7.

"We haven't had a trial so it's probably more impressive for our young blokes to dominate up the middle in the way we did," Hyde said.

"It was a bit of a blow out for us; a few of the boys had to get rid of a few of the cobwebs."

While the Breakers weren't focused too much on the result, Hyde was satisfied the team put into practice what they had been working on at training.

"It (the result) doesn't mean a great deal but the two things we wanted to make sure we did was complete and have energy around the ball in attack and we showed that," he said.

"We had a couple of tries from tip-on balls on the inside and that's from energy around the footy so we showed everything we've been working on at training which is very pleasing."

Hyde admitted he was next to no chance of playing in next Sunday's final.

"I hurt my groin a bit in the first 15 so that's not good for me ideally but I've been injured in five or six trials I've played in so I knew it was going to happen," he said.

"I don't think I'll play next week but hopefully be right for round one."

We had 13 players playing as individuals rather than working as a team.

Wauchope coach Anthony Boyd

Meanwhile, Port Sharks trailed Macleay Valley 12-0 when a severe electrical storm forced their fixture to be called off.

The result means the Mustangs will face Port City in next weekend's final.