Wauchope Hockey Club aim for two B-grade grand final wins

Jess Galloway found the back of the net with an extra-time strike that put Wauchope into the Port Macquarie-Hastings Hockey Association B-grade women's grand final.

Galloway channelled her way down the sideline with some remarkable skill defeating Port City players to drive her way into the attacking circle and earn a short corner.

The Wolverines snuck past Port City 4-3 after they led 3-0 at halftime before a stirring second-half revival from the Piranhas put the match into overtime.

Wauchope captain Michelle Smith had a chance to win the match herself following the short corner, but her shot hit a defender in the foot, allowing her team a second shot.

The match followed a different path to most of their games throughout the season.

"Normal games we do the opposite and we start slow and score our goals after half-time," she said.

"We weren't 100 per cent on our game in the second half and they came back at us pretty strong."

Smith said it wasn't a surprise to see Port City come back after the break.

"We've only had the one loss against them all season so they're a really good side," she said.

Their structure held strong with the effortless flow between the midfielders to the strikers helping the girls quickly get three goals on the scoreboard in the first half.

They were scored by Jade Millward, Emily Brazel and Loryn Mendham before the hot conditions saw them appear to falter in the third quarter.

"I don't think we faded, they just came good," Smith admitted.

It sets up a grand final clash with either the Piranhas or Tacking Point Thunder on Saturday with the two teams to play for the other grand final spot on Wednesday night.

Piranhas vice-captain Danielle Blenkhorn lamented a lack of substitutes as a telling factor in the match.

"We were feeling the pressure in the first half and then adopted more of an attacking game plan at halftime," she said.

"We were trying to play clever and focus on passing rather than running because it was a pretty hot day."

Blenkhorn was impressed with the team's fighting spirit despite coming up short.

"It was great for us to comeback and maintain our focus, but hopefully we'll get another shot at them in the grand final."

Meanwhile, Wauchope's B-grade men's team also progressed to the grand final with a 3-1 win over Port City.

Colin Pursehouse got his team off to a dream start with a goal in the opening minute.

Pursehouse added a second and his team's third in the third quarter to see them progress to the season decider.

It will be played Saturday.

Pursehouse is confident of replicating their success of only a fortnight ago when they became just the second team all year to defeat the Cougars in a 2-1 win.

"They've been the team to beat all year; there are a lot more quality players across their team," he said.

"They have someone different who usually steps up each week."

Pursehouse's team will look to continue an impressive record in grand finals.

"I don't think we've lost one that I've played in," he said.

"Whenever we make grand finals we win."