ACT and Queanbeyan firefighters deployed to help fight northern NSW bushfires

The ACT has deployed 16 rural firefighters to help support the NSW Rural Fire Service in battling blazes in the Port Macquarie region.

Two people have died and seven are missing in the bushfires that have destroyed at least 100 homes.

Queanbeyan has deployed 29 firefighters and five trucks to assist in the efforts.

The Australian Defence Force transported ACT support to the firefighting effort in northern New South Wales on Friday. Picture: Defence Media

The Australian Defence Force transported ACT support to the firefighting effort in northern New South Wales on Friday. Picture: Defence Media

Rural fire brigades including those from Goulburn, Yass and the Monaro district have also sent in reinforcements.

"In this time of need, the ACT will continue to support our NSW colleagues as they battle bushfires across the state," an ACT Emergency Services Agency spokesman said.

The fire services said the deployments would not impact on the level of fire protection to Canberra and surrounding regions.

Lake George Zone Rural Fire Service district officer Darren Marks said the Queanbeyan region had sent about 100 people to various locations up north over the past six to eight weeks to assist firefighting efforts.

"I was with a whole bunch of colleagues last night and all of us were probably shell-shocked watching what had been going on through the day," Mr Marks said.

"We're a week into November. We've been fighting fires for eight to nine weeks up there that have been causing no end of grief.

"We're doing what we can to support everybody up north because we know this is going to be a long and difficult season."

Mr Marks said he was "knackered" after returning from the Clarence Valley yesterday, where he was doing recon in a helicopter for the fires burning in that region.

It was snowing in Captains Flat when he returned home.

He said the fire situation was quickly becoming an international event, with volunteers flying in from across Australia and other countries to assist.

"The four fires yesterday, we had over half a million hectares burnt which was more than the previous two seasons combined," he said.

"We're trying to put them out, but just the sheer scope means that it's a long, long task."

He said one fire had a perimeter of about 1000 kilometres.

Mr Marks said while the Queanbeyan brigades had a contingent heading up north, there were still plenty of people on the ground in the area to deal with any incidents that may arise.

"In our area at the moment, things are nowhere near as bad but the four-day prediction has us in severe fire danger on Tuesday.

"Unless rain will start coming across NSW, people locally have to be prepared that the fire danger is going to [increase]."

He reiterated the NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons's comments on Friday that it was an unprecedented event.

"We have a big workforce but this is a huge job," Mr Marks said.

"People are literally having to walk away from their jobs, and their families, for a week or five days on very short notice. It takes a toll on both the families and the workplaces. Volunteers will wear out, workplaces will wear out. While we would love more volunteers, we won't have time to train them until the end of the season."

To stay up to date and for information on the NSW bushfires visit rfs.nsw.gov.au

This story ACT, Queanbeyan firefighters lend a much-appreciated hand first appeared on The Canberra Times.