HERE is a guide to the weekly markets and major community, arts and sporting events on the calendar for 2020.
If you have an event coming up - let us know.
- Stencil Art Prize: September 4 to November 29 at Glasshouse Regional Gallery. Edgy, political, cheeky and pop-culture inspired - the Stencil Art Prize exhibition features artworks by 66 finalists from around the globe.
- Solo Exhibition of Fine Art By Nicola McLeay:November 22-December 30 at the Lighthouse Gallery, Matthew Flinders Drive. Local realism artist shares her new collection of highly detailed original oil paintings of Australian and New Zealand landscapes. A digital video installation of her process can be viewed as well as some portraiture artworks. Lighthouse Gallery is an exhibition space showcasing original artworks by Port Macquarie based realism artist Nicola McLeay, who is recognised internationally for her finely detailed brushwork and space enhancing compositions.
- Small Works: November 23-28 - a collaborative exhibition by local artists, hosted by Sunset Gallery on Central Rd, Port Macquarie. This exhibition is designed to present the viewer with a wonderful array of unique, artist produced small works of art, with over 15 local artists involved there is a style and medium to peak the interest of almost everyone.
- Black and White Frame of Mind: December 5-24 at Sunset Gallery. A photographic exhibition celebrating Black & White images. This is an exhibition designed around a collection of images presented to fit within contemporary homes or rooms as small styling pieces to give a pleasing aesthetic or simplicity of timeless black and white style. Local photographer Cherie Morton has been capturing the local area through the view of her camera since the '90s as a professional commercial photographer. She has only in more recent years embraced the joy of decor and fine art photography more after hanging up her wedding and portrait photographers hat to enjoy the more meditative side of creative & expressive photography.
- A Lot Like Christmas: December 11 from 11am to 12 noon at the Glasshouse. Get into the Christmas spirit with two of Australia's favourite musical theatre stars in A lot like Christmas. Danielle Barnes and Scott Irwin will share many Christmas favourites, mixed with some of the greatest hits from classic musicals.
- Port Macquarie Observatory: The Port Macquarie Astronomical Observatory Friday open nights from 7.45pm. The observatory has updated the entrance and redesigned the auditorium to accommodate a maximum of 20 guests.
- Wauchope Bonsai Workshop Group - September 12-June 11- the group meets the second Saturday in the month commencing at 10am and going until around 2pm. The meeting commences with a discussion of the display trees, followed by a presentation. The remainder of the meeting is workshop time for members to work on their own trees and a separate one-hour session for beginners to learn the basics of bonsai.
- Contemporary Embroidery Class: November 28-December 19 at Sunset Gallery. www.sunsetgallery.com.au.
- #WalkInWhite: November 29 across Port Macquarie. The community is encouraged to walk in white on November 29 and have discussions about collective action against domestic violence. Port Macquarie-Hastings residents are asked to wear a white shirt, go for a walk in their local neighbourhood and share a selfie using the hashtag #WalkInWhite.
- Grace Easterbrook walk: A push to have a section of Port Macquarie's Coastal Walk named after one of the region's trailblazing women, Grace Easterbrook, takes to the footpath on November 29. A socially-distanced picnic lunch at Oxley Beach from midday to hear more about the important conservation work of those who fought to protect the local coastline, headlands and foreshores over the last 50 years. Then those who want to experience the proposal for Grace's Walk can wander along the coastal path up to Windmill Hill.
- Laurieton Christmas Concert: December 13 at Longworth Park. The Camden Haven Community Band's concert celebration will be in the park opposite the Plaza Theatre from 2pm.
- The Christmas Bell: December 5 - Christmas virtual event. With the help of the region's talented performing artists, passionate locals and some special guests, Port Macquarie-Hastings Council is bringing the community a COVID-safe virtual Christmas event, The Christmas Bell - a moment for us all. The community is being encouraged to come together to experience an amazing online production that says thank you to the community with a collection of performances and entertainment featuring talented locals. The Christmas Bell will be streamed live on council's Facebook page and YouTube channel youtube.com/pmhcouncil on Saturday, December 5 from 7pm-8pm.
- Sparkle - a botanical cocktail evening: December 5.GROW is delighted to announce a very special flower-powered event, full of flowers, creativity, cocktails, and delicious food in the new Sparkle Fairy Cage at the Greenhouse. Your host, Jana from Wauchope Colonial Florist will show you step-by-step how to create your own beautiful flower crown. There will be Moveable Feasts grazing platters combine floristry and the flavours of local artisan foods, and our gorgeous range of cocktails are flavoured with fruits and herbs, beautifully dressed with edible floral garnishes. Come out and enjoy a magical and fun evening under the stars. Book at www.growsustainableliving.com/product-page/floral-crown-workshop-botanical-cocktail-party
- FOTSUN presents Back In The Sun: December 11 at Westport Park. Annual musical festival featuring a top 2020 line-up of Hockey Dad, Jaguar Jones, Wharves and Scuffs. 5pm-9.30pm. Ticketed fotsun.com.
- Live at The SmokeHouse: December 12 at Westport Park. Bands and BBQ featuring Ash Grunwald. Ticketed.
- Taste of Summer: December 15 at 5:45pm, Cassegrain Winery, 10 Winery Drive Port Macquarie. Ticketedwww.123tix.com.au/events/12832/taste-of-summer
- Oysters in the Vines - Seafood and Wine Festival: December 29 (11am-3pm) and December 30 (4pm-7pm) at Cassegrain Wines. A highlight in the local calendar, don't miss this very popular celebration of oysters, seafood and fine wine, with live music, masterclasses and over 30 artist and market stalls.
- NSW Touch Senior State Cup: December 4-6, Tuffins Lane, Port Macquarie. The 2020 NSW State Cup touch football competition has been given the green light for December but it will be played across designated zones and there will be no spectators this year.
- Jack Newton Junior Golf Masters: December 5-6 - 2020 North Coast Junior Masters Inc. Champions Trophy at Kew Country Club.
- The Local: fresh food market at Port Macquarie Maritime Museum grounds. The first, second and third Sunday of the month from 8am to 12 noon.
- The Foreshore Markets: Back on December 12. Every second Saturday of the month at Westport Park reserve, Port Macquarie. Unique handmade arts and crafts highlight the event with an eclectic mix of other stalls, from gourmet foods, locally grown produce, flowers, vintage clothing and handmade jewellery and clothing.
- Wauchope Farmer's Markets: on the fourth Saturday of the month from 8am to 12 noon at the Wauchope Showground. The Wauchope Farmers' Market provides an opportunity for local farmers and food producers to sell a large variety of produce and hand crafted gourmet food products direct to the public.
- Laurieton Riverwalk Market: on the third Sunday of the month at Bruce Porter Reserve at Laurieton. Enjoy a bite to eat by the riverside, or get your kitchen in order with a range of fresh produce and gourmet foods to take home.
- The Artist Market: on the fourth Sunday of the month at the Port Macquarie Maritime Museum grounds. It is an eclectic market bringing together a vibrant and colourful collection of works by local artisans and artists.
- Real Food Markets: every Tuesday from 12pm the Port Central-Glasshouse forecourt comes alive with local passionate food stalls boasting a diverse range of locally made of produced food.
This information was correct as of November 22, 2020 with updates available via the direct web links provided or at portmacquarieinfo.com.au/whats-on
If you have an event coming up, email firstname.lastname@example.org